Do you know one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned as a result of my Year by the Water and from 20 years of researching, writing and speaking about attention, concentration and focus?
The quality of our life is directly proportionate to our quality of attention.
Yet, as explained in Got Your Attention? … goldfish have longer attention spans than we do.
I’m not making that up. That’s from research by Harvard professor Nancy F. Koehn. Goldfish = 9 seconds. Human beings = 8 seconds.
What that means is we tend to rush through life distracted, impatient, perpetually on to the next thing.
At work, we’re constantly interrupted and besieged with conflicting priorities.
We rarely really focus on anything. As a result, we don’t really connect.
The good news? There’s an antidote to this.
Three times a day, take three minutes to do this simple ConZentration Look Closer Exercise. Simply stop what you’re doing and really SEE who you’re talking to, SEE what you’re doing.
As soon as you do, you will feel a newfound appreciation for that person or activity. You will find yourself really listening to that person. You’ll find yourself more deeply engaged in that task. It’s amazing how accessible focused connection is. It is, literally and figuratively, a moment’s NOTICE away.
I’ve collected my six favorite quotes about seeing – with some added comments – and share them here. They’re excerpted from Got Your Attention? (which Marshall Goldsmith says is a “must for every leader”) and from ConZentrate – a book I wrote about how to stay focused in an unfocused world and which Dr. Stephen Covey endorsed as “Remarkable, thought-provoking, fascinating, motivating”
Hope you find them thought-provoking. You might even want to post a favorite quote where you’ll see it every day as a reminder to stop and really SEE who you’re talking to, SEE what you’re doing.
Taking the time to stop and SEE who you’re with and what you’re doing is the first step to creating SerenDestiny – a life where the light is on in your eyes. It’s the key to being IN your life and fully experiencing it rather than rushing through it and looking back with regrets, wondering where it went. It’s the first step to staying focused at work instead of feeling constantly frazzled and frenetic.
Six Quotes on How to SEE Your Way to Improved Focus and Connection
1. The first words of our National Anthem, The Star Spangled Banner, are, “Oh, say, can you see…” The real question is, “Oh, say do you see…”
2. “Nobody sees a flower, really, it is so small, we haven’t time, and to see takes time.” – Georgia O’Keefe As mentioned, to see takes time and intent. We must give our mind an order and decide to focus our attention on THIS thing for THIS amount of time.
3. “Develop interest in life, in people, things, literature, music. The world is simply throbbing with rich treasure, beautiful souls, fascinating people.” – Henry Miller There is no excuse, ever, for being bored. That is simply a lack of imagination and a lack of really seeing the miracles that surround us every single day.
4. “Life is postponed until further notice.” -Sam Horn The quality of your life is directly proportionate to the quality of your attention and connection. Put yourself on NOTICE now.
5. “When the eye wakes up to see again, it suddenly stops taking anything for granted.” – Frederick Franck The second you really SEE someone or something; you’re flooded with renewed appreciation. Attention = appreciation.
6. “The whole of life lies in the verb seeing.” – Teilhard de Chardin Every time I see this quote, something deep within me says, “YES, emphatically YES.” Not seeing = not connecting. Fully seeing = fully connecting.
– – –
Want more? Check out Sam’s books – Washington Post bestseller Got Your Attention? which Marshall Goldsmith calls “a must for every leader” and ConZentrate which Dr. Stephen Covey (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) endorsed as “Remarkable, fascinating, thought-provoking, motivating.”
Or, contact Cheri@IntrigueAgency.com to arrange for Sam Horn to present her GOT FOCUS? keynote to your convention or corporate meeting. Discover for yourself why her programs on how to focus and concentrate have received excellent ratings from NASA, been featured on NPR; and how they can help your employees be more focused, mindful, connected and productive at work.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.