Here at the point in Balboa Park near San Diego, CA. I’m smiling because I’ve decided that, as we near October 1st – the “official” end of my Year by the Water – I’m nowhere near ready for this to end.
As my friend Joan Fallon said, “Looks like this is transitioning into LIFE by the Water.” She’s right.
At this stage and season of life, if we’re fortunate, we get to wrap our life around what we know for sure.
What I know for SHORE is I believe water is the best metaphor for life. What I know for SHORE is:
• I am happiest when I am by sun and water.
• I am more creative when I am by sun and water.
• I am more connected when I am by sun and water.
• I am more healthy and active when I am by sun/water.
Ergo, since I am happier and more connected, creative, healthy and active when I am by sun and water … I shall continue to live on, in, by and around water.
I remember reading a poem years ago by Jenny Joseph called “When I Grow Old, I Shall Wear Purple.”
The essence of the poem is that in our “senior years,” we can finally stop playing by society’s rules and start honoring OUR interests, start doing what WE want to do.
I’ve always heard that if we go to a retirement home, we’ll find a lot of people who FEEL like they’re thirty inside who are wondering, “How did it go by so fast? I want it back.”
I don’t want it back. I want it NOW.
What I want is to continue to lead a life in alignment with my priorities and values. Those are:
• Staying connected with the people I love
• Creating and contributing work I hope adds value
• Exploring and experiencing this wonderful world of ours
• Leading a life of SerenDestiny – a life where the light is on in my eyes
• Being healthy and living each day in grateful joy
For me, that means being by the sun and water.
How about you?